Effective Date: February 1, 2020
- Event(s) means any college or university fair, college or university visit, conference, and/or other gathering in which StriveScan’s services may be used by Organizations, Exhibitor Users, and Consumer Users.
- Association(s) means any non-profit professional group, school, for-profit business, Organizations, and/or Exhibitor Users that sponsors or coordinates Events attended by various Organizations, Exhibitor Users, and Consumer Users.
- Organization(s) means any academic institution, college, university, boarding school, gap year program, educational program, trade school, business, non-profit, vendor, military branch, and/or any other group that hosts Events or that Exhibitor Users are from.
- Host(s) means any Association, Organization, or other group that organizes or coordinates Events.
- General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) means the European Union (“EU”) law on data protection and privacy applicable to individuals within the EU.
- Personal Data means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
- Exhibitor User(s) means Organization representatives who register for services and create accounts via the Website to utilize StriveScan at Events.
- Consumer User(s) means students, parents, counselors, professionals, or other individuals who register for services via the Website to utilize StriveScan at Events.
- Website User(s) means individuals who visit and browse the Website without registering.
- User(s) (“You/Your”) means Exhibitor User(s), Consumer User(s), and Website User(s)
Types of Personal Data We Collect.
StriveScan may collect the following contact and identification information from all Users – including Consumer Users, Exhibitor Users, and Website Users – who contact StriveScan and/or register for services through the StriveScan Website:
- First name;
- Last name;
- Email address;
- Phone number;
- Countries of citizenship;
- Any other contact and/or identification information that you upload and/or submit to the Website directly and/or indirectly.
* United States Consumer Users Only.
StriveScan may collect the following academic information from all Users – including Consumer Users, Exhibitor Users, and Website Users – who contract StriveScan and/or register for services through the StriveScan website:
- School graduation term;
- Grade Point Average (“GPA”);
- Test scores, including but not limited to SAT, ACT, SSAT, TOEFL, IELTS;
- College/university start term;
- Academic interests;
- Countries interested in studying in;
- Job title;
- Organization name;
- Organization address;
- Organization statistics;
- Organization social media profiles;
- Personal social media profiles;
- Any other academic information that you upload and/or submit to the Website directly and/or indirectly.
StriveScan may collect the following payment information from Exhibitor Users and Associations who register for services through the StriveScan website:
- Credit card information;
- Bank account information;
- Billing address;
- Contact information;
- Any other payment information that you upload and/or submit to the Website directly and/or indirectly.
In addition, StriveScan collects the following data from all Users – including Consumer Users, Exhibitor Users, and Website Users:
- Your geolocation;
- Your IP address;
- Your browser and search engine information;
- Your device information;
- Your visitor history;
- Your usage of the Website, including, without limitation, any links or items clicked or pages viewed and statistics;
- Information stored in cookies, pixel tags, or web beacons;
- Analytical data from Google Analytics; and
- Any other additional analytic data that you voluntarily submit to the Website.
Personal Data Security.
StriveScan cares about the protection and security of Your Personal Data. StriveScan uses technology to store and help prevent the unauthorized disclosure of your Personal Data. Though we undertake commercially reasonable efforts to protect your information, no website, software, or online service is completely safe. Accordingly, you provide all such information at your own risk.
In order to protect your Personal Data, StriveScan uses specific security measures, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol, which encrypts information you input. This is denoted in most web browsers by a small padlock appearing on the bottom bar of the window and the address of the window changing from http:// to https://, indicating a secure connection.
How StriveScan Uses Your Personal Data
StriveScan cares about Your Personal Data and uses Your Personal Data with the goal of making the Website as best and effective as possible. We use your Personal Data to provide you with the Website and identify problems and make improvements to the Website, to process any requests made by you, communicate with you, communicate with you, update you regarding changes to the Website and any third-party services offered through the Website, and to share your Personal Data with Exhibitor Users consistent with the “Sharing Your Personal Data” section below.
By using the Website, you further authorize the following specific uses of your Personal Data:
- Enable your use of the Website and its associated services;
- Contact and communicate with you, whether through email, telephone, text message, and/or messages within the Website;
- Facilitate your use of the Website and upgrades/replacements to the Website;
- Customize and/or tailor the Website and your user experience;
- Provide you with technical service and support, including updates;
- Provide you with information concerning StriveScan’ benefits or services;
- Understand your needs and requests;
- Communicate promotions or other offers;
- Improve algorithms; Measure service usage; Develop new features;
- Advertise products and services of StriveScan;
- Transmit and process your information and actions within the Website;
- Provide statistical information, and include you in the same, where applicable;
- Process payments; and
EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield
StriveScan participates in and comply with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework (together the “Privacy Shield”) as set forth by the European Commission and the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Data (defined in Section 2.1) transferred from European Economic Area (“EEA”) member countries, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (UK) to the United States.
StriveScan has certified that it adheres to and will abide by the Privacy Shield Principles of Notice, Choice, Accountability for Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation, Access, and Recourse, Enforcement, and Liability.
StriveScan uses a limited number of third-party service providers to assist us in providing our services to Users. These third-party providers may perform technical operations, assist with the transmission of data, and provide data storage services. These third parties may access, process, or store personal data in the course of providing their services. StriveScan maintains contracts with these third parties restricting their access, use and disclosure of personal data in compliance with our Privacy Shield obligations, including the onward transfer provisions, and StriveScan remains liable if they fail to meet those obligations and we are responsible for the event giving rise to damage.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at [email protected]. We will investigate and attempt to resolve complaints and disputes regarding use and disclosure of Personal Data in accordance with the Privacy Shield Principles. In the event we are unable to resolve your concern, you may contact JAMS, which provides an independent third-party dispute resolution body based in the United States, and they will investigate and assist you free of charge. Contact JAMS at at https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield. Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website, you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
For purposes of enforcing compliance with the Privacy Shield, StriveScan is subject to the investigatory and enforcement authority of the US Federal Trade Commission.
For more information about the Privacy Shield, see the US Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield website located at: https://www.privacyshield.gov. To review our certification on the Privacy Shield list, see the US Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield self-certification list located at: https://www.privacyshield.gov/list.
Cookies & Similar Technologies.
The table below sets out how we use different categories of cookies and similar technologies, as well as information on your options for managing the settings for the data collection by these technologies:
|Type of Cookie||Description||Managing Settings|
|Required Cookies (Strictly Necessary)||Required – or strictly necessary – cookies enable you to navigate the Website and use its features, such as to login.||Because required cookies are essential to operate the Website there is no option to opt out of these cookies.|
|Functional Cookies (Non-Strictly Necessary)||Functional – or non-strictly necessary cookies – allow us to remember information you have entered or choices you make (i.e. your login information), and provide enhanced, more personal features.
We use Google Analytics to help us analyze how our Website is used, including the number of visitors, where the website visitors have come from, and the pages they visit. This information is used by us to improve our Website.
|To manage the use of functional cookies on the Website, please consult your individual browser settings for cookies. Note that opting out may impact the functionality you receive when using our Website.
To opt of our data collection by Google Analytics, you can download and install a browser add on here.
|Targeting or Advertising Cookies (Non-Strictly Necessary)||We use Google Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics to log when users view specific pages or take specific actions on or getting to the Website.||To opt of Google Analytics, you can download and install a browser add on here.|
Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Data
The lawful basis for us processing your Personal Data for the uses described above will typically be because you have provided your consent; it is necessary for our contractual relationship; the processing is required for us to comply with legal obligations; and/or the processing is in our legitimate interest of event organizing and scanning services.
Sharing of Your Personal Data.
StriveScan Shares Your Personal Data with third parties in the following circumstances:
- Where StriveScan has obtained your consent;
- Where a Consumer User presents their barcode to be scanned by an Exhibitor User or Host;
- Where sharing or disclosure of your Personal Data is needed to protect Users and/or the employees, owners, and shareholders of StriveScan;
- Where sharing or disclosure of your Personal Data is necessary to provide you with the Website, and/or associated services;
- Where sharing or disclosure of your Personal Data is necessary with StriveScan’ parents, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, licensees, affiliates, or business partners, including where StriveScan has been purchased by a third party;
- Where sharing or disclosure of your Personal Data is necessary to respond to requests by government authorities; where your Personal Data is demanded by a court order or subpoena; or where StriveScan is otherwise legally obligated to share your Personal Data;
- Where sharing or disclosure of your Personal Data is needed to help prevent against fraud or the violation of any applicable law, statute, regulation, ordinance, or treaty.
Disclosures for National Security or Law Enforcement.
Under certain circumstances, StriveScan may be required to disclose your personal data in response to valid requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
StriveScan May Share Your Personal Data With the Following Third-Parties With Your Consent:
- Exhibitor Users;
- Consumer Users;
- Agents, Consultants, Service Providers, and other third-parties that StriveScan utilizes in the future.
We may share your Personal Data with our contractors and service providers who process Personal Data on behalf of StriveScan to perform certain business-related functions. These companies include our database service providers, email service providers, backup and disaster recovery services, customer support, tech support, hosting companies, data services providers marketing agencies, online advertising providers, payment processing partners, and others. When we engage another company to perform such functions, we may provide them with information, including Personal Data, in connection with their performance of such functions.
No Liability for Third-Party Services and Third-Party Links.
The third-party service providers affiliated with StriveScan have their own independent privacy policies governing the use of this information and we encourage you to read those privacy policies carefully. You understand that even if StriveScan deletes your Personal Data that it may still be available in a third-party service provider’s databases. For instance, your Personal Data may be instantly transmitted to Exhibitor Users and may remain on their databases even after StriveScan has deleted your Personal Data. StriveScan has no responsibility or liability for the activities of the third-party service providers used by StriveScan to provide you with the services associated with the Website.
StriveScan may include or offer third-party products or services on the Website and provide third-party links to the same. These third-party websites have separate and independent privacy policies. StriveScan has no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of such third parties or their websites. We encourage you to read carefully the privacy policies of all such third-party websites. We seek to protect the integrity of the Website and therefore welcome any feedback about any such third-party websites.
Personal Data Transfer and Storage.
Your Personal Data is stored and processed on computers and servers in the United States, through your use of the Website, you consent to the processing and storage of your Personal Data and personally identifiable information. You understand that your Personal Data may be transferred to – and maintained on – computers located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide Personal Data to us, please note that we transfer your Personal Data to the United States and process it here, and that we may store portions of your Personal Data in the United States.
Users understand and agree that StriveScan may continue to store your information after you cease use of the service or disable your account. Users understand and agree that if they provide StriveScan with Personal Data that it is stored at least four (4) years. We retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary to provide you with our services, or for other important purposes such as complying with legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements.
The GDPR provides Users located in the EU under its protection certain rights with respect to their Personal Data collected by us on the Website. Accordingly, StriveScan recognizes and will comply with the GDPR and those rights, except as limited by applicable law. The rights under the GDPR include:
- Right of Access: This includes the right to obtain from us your Personal Data and whether it is being processed, along with the purposes of the processing; categories of Personal Data concerned; recipients to whom your Personal Data has been disclosed; the period for which your Personal Data is being stored; and the right to lodge a complaint.
- Right of Rectification: This includes the right to correct inaccurate Personal Data collected and/or stored by us.
- Right of Erasure (“Right to be Forgotten”): This includes the right to have your Personal Data deleted. However, if applicable law requires us to comply with your request to delete information, fulfilment of your request may prevent you from using our services and may result in closing your account.
- Right to Restriction of Processing: This includes the right to request restriction of how and why your Personal Data is used or processed by us.
- Right to Data Portability: This includes the right to receive your Personal Data in a structure, readable format and the right to have your Personal Data transferred.
- Right to Object: This includes the right to object to us processing your Personal Data for reasons such as direct marketing purposes and for scientific or historical research or statistical purposes.
- Right to not be Subject to Automated Decision-Making: This includes the right to not be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, that could have a legal, or similarly significant, effect on you from being made solely based on automated processes.
How To Exercise EU Users’ Rights under the GDPR and to Stop StriveScan from collecting your Personal Data.
EU Users can exercise their rights under the GDPR – including the rights to access, rectification, erasure, restriction of processing, data portability, objection, and not to be subject to automated decision-making – by contacting StriveScan at [email protected].
All Users can stop StriveScan from collecting your Personal Data by contacting StriveScan at [email protected].
Additionally, you can adjust your web browser settings to limit or turn off Cookies or other tracking techniques, or you can cease use of the Website. You may contact StriveScan with any requests regarding your Personal Data. StriveScan also honors Do Not Track requests and signals.
If you are a California resident, California law requires us to provide you with some additional information regarding how we collect, use, and share your “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)).
If you are a California resident, you may have certain rights. California law may permit you to request that we:
- Provide you the categories of Personal Data we have collected or disclosed about you in the last twelve months; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your Personal Data; and the categories of third parties with whom we shared Personal Data.
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you.
- Delete certain information we have about you.
You may have the right to receive information about the financial incentives that we offer to you (if any). You also have the right to not be discriminated against (as provided for in applicable law) for exercising certain of your rights. Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we need certain types of information so that we can provide the Services to you. If you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to access or use StriveScan.
If you would like to exercise any of your California consumer rights, please submit a request to [email protected]. You will be required to verify your identity before we fulfill your request. To do so, you will need to provide us with certain account information, such as the full name and email address you used to create your account. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. To do so, you must provide us with written authorization for the agent to act on your behalf. You will still need to verify your identity directly with us.
Under California’s “Shine the Light Law,” California residents have the right to receive information that identifies any third-party companies or individuals that StriveScan has shared your Personal Data within the previous calendar year, as well as a description of the categories of Personal Data disclosed to that third party. You may obtain this information once a year and free of charge by contacting StriveScan at [email protected].
Under Nevada law, certain Nevada consumers may opt out of the sale of “personally identifiable information” for monetary consideration to a person for that person to license or sell such information to additional persons. “Personally identifiable information” includes first and last name, address, email address, phone number, Social Security Number, or an identifier that allows a specific person to be contacted either physically or online.
We do not engage in such activity; however, if you are a Nevada resident who has purchased or leased goods or services from us, you may submit a request to opt out of any potential future sales under Nevada law by emailing [email protected]. Please note we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity and the authenticity of the request. Once verified, we will maintain your request in the event our practices change.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Policy.
Pursuant to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, the Website is not intended for or directed to United States’ users under the and StriveScan does not knowingly or intentionally collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13 or other minors. Pursuant to the GDPR, the Website is not intended for or directed to EU Users under the age of sixteen (16) without permission from a parent or guardian and StriveScan does not knowingly or intentionally collect Personal Data from children under the age of 16 without permission from a parent or guardian to use this service and share their information.
Where appropriate, StriveScan takes reasonable measures to determine that users are adults of legal age and to inform minors not to submit such information to the Website or in response to advertisements. If you are concerned that Personal Data may have been inadvertently provided to or collected by StriveScan, please contact us immediately so appropriate steps may be taken to remove such information from StriveScan’s database.
Purchase or Sale of the Website or Other Assets.
When using the Website, you are obligated to inform StriveScan of any changes to your Personal Data, and protect the security of your username, password, and your Personal Data.
Contact and Notices.
Attention: Dan Saavedra
PO Box 14708
Chicago IL 60614